Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:39:22 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Donald Burr of Borg <dburr@borg-cube.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP: need Two-way file synchronization tool like MS-Windows "Briefcase"

In the last episode (Apr 27), Donald Burr of Borg said:
> [note: please followup to freebsd-ports.  Thanks]
>
> I'm looking for a tool similar to the Microsoft Windows "Briefcase" tool,
> that will allow me to keep files synchronized between my desktop and
> laptop computers.
>
> Someone suggested I take a look at the "rsync" program.  I looked at it,
> but it doesn't seem to me to be the ideal program for my needs.  for one
> thing, the synchronization (from what I understand) is only one way.  I.e.
> central server ---> remote backup copy, NOT the other way around.  Also,
> it's a pretty large package, and is probably overkill for my needs as
> well.

rsync is only a 200k executable; I doubt you could find anything
smaller...

To get 2-way synchronization with rsync, you run it twice, once for
each direction:

rsync -auvz ~/ othermachine:
rsync -auvz othermachine:/ ~

Since rsync doesn't keep a state file, though, it can't handle file
deletion (it will simply replace the deleted file from the other
server).  You have to manually delete the file from both sides.  You
could also run rsync with the --existing switch, which will make it
sync only files that exist on both sides (which means you have to
manually copy the file to your laptop so rsync can sync it later).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com