Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:09:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recovering "Deleted" File

Josef Karthauser wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 09:48:41PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > >
 > > Having that said, recovering a reference to an existing inode
 > > is easy if you know the inode number.  Just change to any
 > > directory on the filesystem which contains the inode, then
 > > type (at the fsdb prompt):  ``ln 42 foobar'', where 42 is the
 > > inode number, and foobar is the name of the entry that shall be
 > > created in the current directory as a reference for that inode.
 > > then exit fsdb.  That's it.
 >
 > Can you do this on a "live" filesystem?

Good question.  I haven't tried this myself.  In any case, it
should only be a last resort if you really need that file back.

In theory, it should work on a live filesystem, but since fsdb
is working on the raw device, it circumvents the FS driver,
which might cause problems.

It's probably a good idea to umount the partition and perform
fsck afterwards.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)