Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:51:17 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "jason fiddian" <fiddo@tasmail.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lpd logging

At 3:13 PM +1000 8/5/03, jason fiddian wrote:

>help please
>
>we have lpd -l running to log daemon activities but where
>does it log to?

It depends on what lines you have in /etc/syslog.conf.
You would want to check /var/log/lpd-errs, and you may
also see the lines in /var/log/messages.

If /var/log/lpd-errs does not exist, then you would need
to create it before syslog will start logging to it.

>also  we can print header pages to the local printer but
>not the network printers whose queues are on the same host.
>any ideas please?

If you are saying that you can *not* get a header page
on the remote-printer (and you have that specified by
'rm=' in your printcap file), then there is probably
some setting that you need to change on that printer.
Does the printer have some menu-based command panel on it?
Some of them might allow for a web-based configuration.

Different printers will call this different things.  Some
might call it a banner page, some will call it a separator
page (or a job separator page).