Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:34:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where can i find a startup log

--- Scott Mitchell <scott@fishballoon.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:50:16AM -0800, Wayne
> Lubin wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand what exactly is being suggested
> > here.
> >
> > The part I don't understand is what is being said
> > done with
> >
> > > Then:
> > >
> > >     # touch /var/log/console.log
> > >     # chmod 600 /var/log/console.log
> > >     # chown root:wheel /var/log/console/log
> > >     # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`
> >

> > Are you suggesting that we add those comments to
> the
> > file, which obviously does not make sense. Or are
> you
> > suggesting that we uncomment those lines, but in
> which
> > case does not make sense because those lines don't
> > exist in my file. Or are you suggesting that we
> add
> > those lines in uncommented form to the file.
>
> He's suggesting you run those commands in your shell
> after making the edits
> to syslog.conf.  The '#' means you need to run the
> commands as root (it's a
> typical shell prompt for root logins).
>
> HTH,
>
> 	Scott

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of
> the message

Ahh ok. What confused me was that there were similar
looking statements already contained in the
syslog.conf file.

With that in mind I now see the purpose of all of the
commands except the last one. For what reason does one
have to perform

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid`

In other words why must one stop the syslogd daemon?
It will only start up again upon the next reboot.

And one more question. after doing the above things,
to see the the full listing of boot up messages does
one still only need to do a dmesg?

Thanks again.