Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 07:30:40 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP server recommendations

Terry Lambert wrote:
> The webmail system will probably have to be "home grown".  All
> of them which support IMAP, to my knowledge, also support both
> Cyrus and the UofW IMAP servers, and almost all of them support
> IMAP, since POP3 doesn't give you a mans of dealing with folders.

I've been using SquirrelMail for about 8 months now, and it's great (I'm using
it with UW-IMAP, but it will work with Cyrus).  Handles folders, filters,
messsage highlighting, all kinds of stuff.

> Almost no webmail client does all the necessary work for proper
> MIME decoding.  This is a shortfall of PHP, whose primary reason
> for living has always seemed (to me) to be webmail clients.
> There are no decent PHP4 books (I generally judge them by their
> ability to directly render MIME without a hell of a lot of code).

Again, SquirrelMail seems to do this just fine for me, and the others that use
it here at our organization.  Do you have an example of something that could
break it?  (I'm no expert, just relaying my experiences).

Eric