Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 03:07:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall

> If I might, I would like to suggest that any project along this
> line look to include g77 as well as C++ as part of the base
> system.  This would help those of us interested in using FBSD for
> number crunching.  I can generate some testing time, including
> compiling and testing some pretty hefty computational chemistry
> packages.  Unfortunately, I'm a biochemist who knows about
> computers, not a computer scientist who knows about biochemistry,
> so my time would only be usefully used in a testing mode.

Can you clarify for us why having g77 in the base system, rather than
an easily-installable and easily-upgradeable port would be worthwhile?

Our current drive is to increase, not decrease, the modularity of the
system where possible; an addition like this would have to have a
compelling justification that was key to the system's functionality to
be considered.