Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 14:40:33 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating and displaying CMOS clock

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:15:34 +0200 (CEST)
Trond Endrest=F8l wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:08+0100, RW wrote:
>=20
> > On Sun, 6 Jul 2014 22:32:07 +0700
> > Victor Sudakov wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> > > And no, contrary to popular belief, the correction of the CMOS
> > > clock does not happen automatically in FreeBSD even if ntpd is
> > > running.
> >=20
> > Are you sure about that? That used to be the case, but I thought it
> > was fixed in 10-CURRENT.
> >=20
> > I haven't set my hardware clock manually in more than a year, and
> > it's out by less than a second.
>=20
> Check out /etc/crontab and the execution of adjkerntz(8).
>=20

I run my RTC on UTC so there's no need for adjkerntz ever to change it.
Even if it did it would have been set over 3 months ago, and it's pretty
unlikely that the RTC would still be accurate to 1 second.

As I mentioned in my follow-up it's actually being set every 30
minutes by the kernel. I was pretty sure that someone had worked on a
fix for this, but I wasn't 100% certain that it had been committed -
until I saw the sysctl.