Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:01:53 +1000
From:      Brendon Meyer <Brendon_Meyer@fmi.com>
To:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Running SCO filePro 4.x under FreeBSD 2.2.5

Hello ladies and gents,

I have minor problem which maybe someone can help
me with.

What I have been trying to do is to get filePro
4.1 SCO UNIX binaries running under FreeBSD 2.2.5
and have run into a minor "snag" which I am not
sure is fixable or circumventable or not.

The binaries used are SCO COFF format (result of a
"file" on them shows "80386 COFF executable").

What happens when we run any of the "report" or
"clerk" series of executables (both "d" and "r"
series) what happens is filePro immediately comes
up with the error:

    "Too Many Users"

Which is the filePro error message that controls
if the application has exceeded it's license
limit.  Obviously in this case, there are *no*
other users running it so what causes it?

All of the other utilities such as the dxmaint
utility, the freechain utility and other appear to
run just fine.

When I queried Personix, I got the following
response, which while not completely helpful is
better than nothing (at least they replied).

>      If the following is not supported at this time filepro will not work
>      properly. Full support of shared memory and/or semaphores for SCO
>      binaries. We would have to modify the code. . I will check to see if
>      it is in the plans

Now what I did initially before I started was to:

1.    Enabled the System V shared memory and
Semaphores in the Kernel (SYSVSHM, SYSVSEM &
SYSVMSG)
2.    Enabled the IBCS2 option in /etc/rc.conf
(ibcs2_enable) by setting it to "YES"

(Yes I did remember to rebuild and install the
Kernel as well  :-) ..... and "No" I don't
consider that a silly question!)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brendon
(Brendon_Meyer@fmi.com)