Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:15:11 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Qt/KDE upgrade path

I am beginning to retest everything that depends on the Qt/KDE
libraries, in light of the many fixes that have been made to said ports.
Some of the diffs are making their way in PRs right now as part of
steps 1 and 2 below.

I would like to suggest the following upgrade path:

1) Upgrade Qt from 1.42 to 1.45. Modify bsd.port.mk as needed.
2) Fix all C{C,XX}{FLAGS} problems in said ports.

---3,4 done fairly quickly, probably within 24 hours---
3a) Modify bsd.port.mk further to USE_NEWGCC-ify Qt.
3b) Ensure that all kde*11 non-i18n ports work and upgrade them first.
4) Fix each other Qt/KDE-based port, one by one. This can be done fairly
   quickly if the diffs are ready.
5) Some ports will be left in the dust because of their old code. We
   will deal with each on a port-by-port basis.

Since we are so close to the Ports Freeze date, I believe Satoshi will
probably object to doing this intricate process, other than steps 1 and
2. So for the time being any port that depends on USE_NEWGCC'd Qt/KDE
shlibs will be broken for -STABLE. Some said ports have already be
committed as such.

I will need the following help:
        1) Asami-san committing to ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk as needed.
        2) (Kind) committer(s) to spend some time working with me to get
           these fixes committed.

I have the upcoming week off, and I will also have 2 weeks off beginning
in early April. Both cases are times when I can dedicate maybe 12 hours
a day to get this done. Of course, we'd have to prearrange. :)

Caffeine, anyone..??

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>