Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2006 14:46:13 -0500
From:      Damian Wiest <dwiest@vailsys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bug with tcsh? : if evaluating true instead of false

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:36:06PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
> >I appreciate the help thanks!
>
> Sure, I'll send the script to you in an individual email instead of as
> an attachement to the list. Should anyone on the list want a copy,
> just drop me an email.
>
> >I'd appreciate the script though, definitely, as any resource I have to
> >learn all Unix script languages properly will only help in my becoming a
> >better Unix admin as well as script more common tasks to help make my life
> >a bit easier.
>
> When I've started to write shell scripts, I read a nice book which
> covered sh, csh and ksh with lots of examples. That was the first
> edition, but it's now in it's fourth edition and now have coverage of
> bash and tcsh plus you get info on sed & awk.
>
> "UNIX Shells By Example", Ellie Quigley, Prentice Hall PTR; 4th
> edition (Sep 24 2004), 1200 pages, ISBN: 013147572
>
> On amazon.ca:
> http://www.amazon.ca/UNIX-Shells-Example-Ellie-Quigley/dp/013147572X/sr=1-1/qid=1161886975/ref=sr_1_1/701-2925611-9451566?ie=UTF8&s=books
>
> Otherwise, you can always Google around for "unix shell script" and
> such. There are a lot of sites on the topic. I would select one from a
> University.
>
> Have fun!
>
> David
> --
> David Robillard
> UNIX systems administrator & Oracle DBA
> CISSP, RHCE & Sun Certified Security Administrator
> Montreal: +1 514 966 0122

I inherited an older edition of "UNIX Shell by Example" and agree it's
a good book.  I'd also recommend O'Reilly's "Classic Shell Scripting"
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/shellsrptg/).

I probably shouldn't encourage this sort of thing, but you can find
the entire O'Reilly CD Bookshelf on the web if you want to sample
the books before buying.

-Damian