Date:      Thu, 07 Jan 1999 01:10:19 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp

I've trimmed this down to the important parts (if its not a winmodem):

larry_nilsen wrote:

> Hi here it is i have only one serial port and parrallel
> port on this computer. when i bootup my bios says
> serial ports 3F8 which is fine.im trying to get FreeBSD
> to recognise my modem on this box. when FreeBSD
> boots up it detects it.
> sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq on isa
> sio0: type 16550A

By default FreeBSD has an sio0 and sio1.  You have properly detected sio0 by
default.

> I dont have a manuel on this modem so one question is how
> can i tell if this is a winmodem?and if it is "it means Ive been
> spinning my wheels for a month...Whats confusing me is my WIN95
> side says my modem is on (COM3) port ?but when im booting up
> the bios only shows one port number 0x3F8 ?

In windows 95 open the System properties panel, then open the modem under the
devices tab and write down the information under resources.

Reboot to FreeBSD and quick type in -c at the boot: prompt.  Enter whichever
mode you prefer and type in those settings you read from the modem resources tab
into the appropriate fields for the modem.  When done, quit and continue booting
freebsd.

If successful, your modem should be /dev/cuaa1.

--
Eric Hodel
hodeleri@seattleu.edu