Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:55:51 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>, Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>, "Aleksandar Simic'" <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The right way to burn CDs ?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:36:25PM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You may be somewhat interested in my story then:
>
> I'm an owner of a Phillips CDD2000 cd, this is the one that the
> class-action lawsuit was filed on.
>
> Well, I recieved a brand-new replacement Phillips CDROM drive in the
> mail a couple weeks ago, as a result of settling that class action.
>
> Only problem was - they sent an IDE burner, NOT a SCSI burner.  The
> class-action was filed on the SCSI burners.  Needless to say Phillips
> found a way to worm out of the settlement and screw the consumers
> again, since the IDE burners are of course cheaper than the SCSI ones.
>
> I figured that it took 4 years to get the bastards to make good on
> their crappy hardware and I wasn't going to wait another 4 years,
> besides that my wife's Winblows system works great with it and they at
> least did ship out Adaptec EasySleasy creator which reads ISO's.

I am not exactly sure what your point is.  Are you saying that the
Phillips IDE drive does not work under FreeBSD for burning CDs?

I do not feel that there is anything wrong with my drive from a quality
or ATAPI spec implementation point of view.  I know a lot of non-standard
hardware can be made to work under Windows with proprietary drivers
so I would never use the "it works with Windows" argument to make my
point.  My point was that my drive and others work under Linux with
open-source software and should be able to work under FreeBSD as well.
Unfortunately, I do not have the requisite skill to fix the problem so I
boot into a Linux system when I need to burn a CD.  It is inconvenient
but gets the job done.  I only hope that the people who do have the
skill to fix the problem realize that it is a software problem and not a
hardware problem.

In my opinion, the FreeBSD project can not claim support for ATAPI
CDR-RW drives in general.  There could be a list of supported drives but
to my knowledge this does not exist.

--
Glenn Johnson