Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:23:01 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login.conf restrictions for suid processes possible?

In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9908041808590.25518-100000@dt011n65.san.rr.com>,
Doug  <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:
:       Soooo, the question is, how can I do what I want to do, and if I
: can't do it with login.conf does anyone have any other suggestions?
: Specifically I need to restrict the amount of ram and the number of
: processes on a per user basis. I'm working on a -current system, but I
: don't think this issue bears directly on -current.

You have two choices: Run one server per user and don't run it as
root -- and be sure to remove root permissions from that
proprietary software. Or, wrap all of your cgi's in a small
program that does a fork/exec.

Both of these are, to say the least, suboptimal solutions. But
what can you expect when you're working within the constraints of
the proprietary? Personally, I avoid proprietary software like the
plague and I'd _never_ run proprietary software as root.