Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:25:50 -0800
From:      Josh Homan <josh@cse.ucsc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        josh@cse.ucsc.edu
Subject:   suppress arp kernel message?

Hello FreeBSD gurus,

I've got a 4.2-STABLE box on a network that has a device that creates bad
packets every so often. When it creates the bad packets, I get the following
message:

arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0004)

The real solution is to replace the malfunctioning device, and I appreciate
that FreeBSD is informing me of the problem, but unfortunately I can't
replace the problematic box for another 6 months. In the interim, I'd like
to be able to supress generation of this message on my sysconsole. If it
goes to syslogd, I'm okay with that, just so long as I don't get
bombarded with the messages while I'm in single user or rooting around.
I'm guessing it's going to require commenting out a couple lines of code and
recompiling the kernel, but I wouldn't know where to start. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Please cc: me on the reply or send direct, as I'm not subscribed to -questions.

Regards,

Josh