Date:      17 Feb 1997 10:06:04 -0600
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@Zilker.NET>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting up Zip for FreeBSD

Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org> writes:
> Does anyone have a document on how to set up a SCSI Zip for FreeBSD?  Or
> can someone who has done it just tell me what they did?  I would greatly
> appreciate it.

Hmm, I don't know of any documents in particular.  I took a look in
the FreeBSD mailing list archives for information, and then just went
for it.  I'll try to supply some information here.

First, the SCSI adapter that comes with the internal SCSI ZIP drive is
AHA-1505 based, I believe, so you can use the aic driver.  Works just
fine from what I remember.

I later upgraded to an AHA-2940AU, and that worked okay on 2.1.5 once
I figured out that the 2940AU has a slightly different ID from the
2940U, so I just compared to the 2.1.6 code for the ahc driver and
patched my 2.1.5 ahc driver to use the new ID for the 2940AU.

Once I had the adapters configured into the kernel and installed the
Zip drive, it showed up as sd0.  To see what kind of partition is on a
particular Zip disk, use the `fdisk' command.  To partition the disk,
you'll need a disktab entry.  I got one from the archives, and have
since lost it, since I haven't partitioned disks very often.

I hope this helps.  Again, I encourage you to search the mailing list
archives for more gory details.

-Dave