Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:16:30 -0700
From:      Ronald Hayden <rhayden@apple.com>
To:        Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, discuss@linuxdoc.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposing some new HOWTOs

I just got back from vacation, so here is a brief response as I catch up=20=

on things...

The Darwin team (http://www.darwin.org/) is very interested in such a=20
project, and has offered to provide a server for it.  We (those working=20=

on this unified doc project) would need to administer the server=20
ourselves.

Nik, Murray, and I were discussing setting up a system such that you=20
could build the doc that applied to all platforms, or the doc for a=20
specific platform.  Much of the effort would be in getting people to=20
contribute to this project if they are doing "standard UNIX doc", so=20
that all projects would benefit.

My personal opinion is that, more important than the ability for a doc=20=

project to add some standard doc would be the general website that would=20=

inevitably result from this.  Having a central website where all=20
standard Unix doc is located, with discussions of platform differences,=20=

might be a big benefit to all.

The big question is how to get it going given Nik's busy-ness.  We were=20=

discussing starting with the existing FreeBSD tool chain for producing=20=

things, and evolving that over time as possible (in particular, to move=20=

away from dependence on the current PDF tools, assuming another more=20
living solution ever comes available; and possibly to one of the more=20
recent approaches to 'make'). As such, hopefully another benefit of this=20=

project would be a standard tool chain that any doc project could easily=20=

adopt.

  -- Ron

http://www.conectiva.com.br