Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:15:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Edward Ing <question@cr343877-a.wlfdle1.on.wave.home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internal Modem Configuration

Edward Ing said:
>I am certain that I read somewhere that the I/O address cannot be the same
>as it Windows. You will have to change the port number.
>
>On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Greg Vig wrote:
>
>> How do I set up my, Boca Research 33.6 Internal Modem ?
>>
>> Info:
>> 	Computer : Pentium 133 mhz
>>                    32 meg ram
>>
>> My internal modem card is set to COM 3, IRQ 5.  On intial setup
>> I noticed that COM3 IRQ 5 was in the inactive list, I moved this
>> up to the active device list and removed all the devices that
>> were in conflict with IRQ 5.  When I boot I can see that it is
>> able to detect COM1 and COM2 both with a 16550 UART.  When it
>> tries to detect COM3 it indicates that it is not found at the address
>> for COM3.  I read the handbook on rebuilding the KERNAL, but the
>> line I am supposed to add is already in there.
>>
>> Thank You !

Well, the port has to be different to that used by any other device, ditto
for the IRQ, but it looks as though he has that set up OK.  I guess this is
a PnP modem?  If so, make sure you have PnP support in your kernel
(controller pnp0).  You might have to manually configure the port/irq for
the PnP device (use the -c flag at boot time to get into the config menu).

HTH. HAND.

	Scott