Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:50:25 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>, Daniel Lannstrom <op@trekdanne.se>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mackbook pro nvidia based video backlight

--=-caXOGD8fIXNAmBOJ4GTQ

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 14:29 +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2009, at 13:43, Ed Schouten wrote:
>=20
> >>
> >> You might want to make it a character device driver. And write a =20
> >> small
> >> userland control program. Sysctl isn't really made for this kind of
> >> functionality.
> >
> > No. sysctl is good for doing stuff like this. An even better approach
> > would be to integrate it to the X11 driver, but I guess it will be =20
> > cold
> > day in hell when this happens.
>=20
> Not really. The xorg intel driver is already able to deal with this.
> I don't know about NVIDIA.

The intel ddx driver doesn't really deal with it.  On linux the drm has
code that interfaces with acpi to deal with backlight management.  For
us, afaik we handle it in acpi_video.  I've not tried to port that part
of the drm code.

I'm not certain where the best place for this function to live is
really, but for Nvidia's proprietary driver, the only option is a
seperate kernel driver.

robert.