Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:57:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Josef HATALA <jhatala@ifaedi.insa-lyon.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD install kernel needs FPU?

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.3 on a 386DX/20 without 387.
It seems that the installation kernel uses FP instructions
but doesn't provide emulation in case no FPU is present.

The booting process stops with a message :
"FPU not present while in kernel mode."

The installation guide doesn't mention that a coprocessor be needed
to run FreeBSD. I do not have another FreeBSD box to compile a custom
kernel. It would be fine if the fpu-emulation code were included in
the installtion kernel or if an alternate kernel were provided
for users of 386 processors. (This kernel might safely lack a few recent
drivers if code size is critical).

If you have an idea of how I could install the FreeBSD on that computer,
please let me know.

Thanx,

jhatala@usa.net
--