Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 13:48:13 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, chuckr@mat.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf & compat

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > They're still being built, tho.  I want that for aout, but not elf,
> > > right?
> >
> > Uh, right.  Compat libs for things which never existed in ELF form
> > would be somewhat superfluous, doncha think? :-)
>
> So a program which, when build a.out, require an a.out libgnumalloc,
> will, when built ELF, *not* require an ELF libgnumalloc?
>
> How does that work?

I thought the /usr/lib/compat libraries were provided for backward
compatibility, not as a set of libraries for linking new programs against.
Since we haven't released anything in ELF format yet, we have nothing
to keep compatibility with.

Programs which require an ELF version of gnumalloc should get that
from /usr/local/lib.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137