Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:51:50 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Usselmann.M@gmx.net
Subject:   Re: DSL access with PPPoE

On 20 Sep 00, at 17:24, Usselmann.M@gmx.net wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:36:34 -0500, Charlie Schloemer wrote:
>
> >On 18 Sep 00, at 22:56, Manfred Usselmann wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to provide DSL Internet access for the few PC's on my LAN
> >> using my FreeBSD server. According to the provider PPPoE is what I
> need.
> >>
> >> My question: Do I have to add an additional NIC to the server or can I
> >> just attach the DSL modem to the hub and use the existing network
> adapter
> >> for the LAN and the Internet?
> >
> >I'm sure I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, but since I haven't
> >seen anyone else reply, here goes:
>
> Thanks for trying to help.
>
> >DSL providers will give you a DSL router, which sometimes is an
> >internal PCI expansion card and sometimes an external box.
> >Unless your ISP has written drivers for an internal DSL card to work
> >with FreeBSD, you want the external box.  (Otherwise, you may be
> >forced to run Windows 98.)
>
> The provider is the German Telekom / T-Online.de. They provide you with an
> external DSL modem (not a router) which can be directly connected to a NIC.
> This is totally sufficient if all you want is to connect one PC to the
> Internet.
>
> >Likely, your ISP will give you only 1 IP address, so if you're going
> >to squeeze multiple boxes through this connection, you'll have to
> >perform IP masquerading of some sort.
>
> Yes, I will need IP masquerading. The IP will be assigned dynamically. It
> is some kind of dial-up connection.
>
> Although I could buy some kind of DSL-Router which would act as a gateway
> for the rest of the PCs on the LAN, I decided to try to set this up with
> FreeBSD to increase my knowledge.
>
> >Your DSL router may be
> >able to handle this, your FreeBSD can certainly handle this (and
> >it's more fun that way), but the topology changes depending on
> >which way you go: for the former, yes, you can just plug the DSL
> >router into the hub with the rest of your boxes.  For FreeBSD to
> >handle the IP masquerading, you'll need to install another NIC in
> >your BSD box, plug one into the local LAN, plug the other into the
> >DSL router via crossover cable (or use another hub if you have an
> >extra lying about).
> >
> >Additionally, unless I'm totally off my rocker, I don't think you'll
> >need PPPoE for this.
>
> I definitely need PPP over Ethernet to access the Internet via T-Online. I
> already tested the connection successfully with a Win2K PC where I
> installed RASPPPOE. But this driver does not handle masquerading and, of course, I
> want to use my FreeBSD server as the Internet gateway.
>
> >If you can provide some more detail about your topology, folks on
> >the list can help you with the specifics if you get snagged.
>
> Ok, I think I will add an additional NIC to the server and try to set this
> up with PPPoE.
>
> > HTH  :-)
>
> What does this abbreviation mean?
>
> Thanks,
> [...]

HTH == Hope This Helps.  :-)

Hmm... I don't think the situation is as complex as you might think.
 The external "modem" does perform routing/gateway functions in
order to convert 10baseT to whatever signalling is used on an
ADSL line.  If you plugged your DSL modem into one NIC on your
FreeBSD box, and plugged the other BSD NIC into a hub, your
internal boxes need not be aware of how they're accessing the
internet; all they need to know is that IP's they don't explicitly have
a route for should be directed to the internal address of your
FreeBSD machine.  This shouldn't be any more complicated than
configuring ethernet cards and TCP/IP on the internal machines to
use your default gateway (internal FreeBSD address).  On your
FreeBSD box, even, there is no need for configuring PPP.... your
FreeBSD is merely routing packets between its two Ethernet
interfaces, and natd can perform the masquerading functions here
for you if your DSL modem won't do it.  At any rate, only your DSL
modem has to worry with how to change things from Ethernet
to/from PPP, and it's probably in a big black box that only your ISP
can configure.  I can send a diagram of how this works, if it would
help.

GPRW,

-Charlie

(Actually, GPRW doesn't mean a damn thing, HTH.  :-)