Date:      Wed, 11 Dec 1996 01:10:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@Hades.Org>
To:        secutiry@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running sendmail non-suid

On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Brant Katkansky wrote:

> One thing I'd like to know is this: Once a process has changed it's effective
> UID to something other than root, can it ever change it's effective UID?
>
> -- Brant Katkansky (bmk@pobox.com, brantk@atlas.com)
>    Software Engineer, ADC

It depends on how the root process set it's effective user-id... if it
used setuid() then all the ids' (effective, real and saved-set) will be
set to the new id, and the process will then not be able to change back
to root... [this is what login(1) does when a user logs in.]

If the set-uid-root executable called seteuid() to set its effective
user-id back to that of the real-user id, then the then-unprivilaged
program can set it's effective-id back to root at any time using a
seteuid() call, because the origional seteuid() did not reset the
saved-set-used-id.  This is kind of the point - a set-user-id program can
use it's extra privilages only when it requires them, and keep to those
of the origional user at other times.

Scot.

| Scot Elliott	                    |   Please note that any opinions     |
| MEng Computing IV.                |   expressed are mine, and not those |
| Imperial College, London          |   of the department or college.     |
| e-mail: s.elliott@ic.ac.uk        |   IRC nick: PlumbrBoy               |
|         pumpkin@uk.pi.net         |   "You are everything in my fridge" |