Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:37:49 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Show Stopper? Failure to Install 19981014

> Jordan K. Hubbard, On 16-Oct-98 you wrote:
> > > I am installing, from scratch, on a known-to-be-good system, FreeBSD
> > > 3.0-CURRENT, the snapshot from 14-Oct (compiled here) and getting the
> > > following error messages during filesystem creation:
> > >
> > > [ After newfs lists superblocks ]
> > >
> > > newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): cros-device link
> > > newfs: /mnt/dev/rda0s4a cant rewrite disk label.
> >
> >  FWIW, I've seen this reported by 2-3 other people as well (and not
> >  with DPT controllers) but I'm buggered if I can reproduce it here on
> >  any of my test boxes.  Can you tell me a bit more about what
> >  installation
> >  type you're using, whether the disks are being installed "dangerously
> >  dedicated", are shared with other OSes, etc?
>
> I can reliablyreproduce it at will.
>
> Novice installation, creating an fdisk partition with 1 DOS partition in
> da0s1a, a 1024MB type 165 in da0s2 and da0s3, and a 2GB+ (or whatever is
> left over) in da0s4.
>
> Freebsd labls chop these into root, tmp, var, var/tmp, var/spool, var/log,
> var/qmail, var/account, usr, usr/X11R6, usr/local, usr/local/pgsql,
> usr/local/pgsql/data, home, SourceControl, Archives, and so on.
>
> If you want, drop me a line and I'll let you in to the machine in question.

It appears to be caused by not entering the root filesystem first.
There's a test in the disklabel code which checks to see if the
partition you have open to write the label starts at 0, and if not then
it defaults to the 'a' partition.

Partitions are laid on disk in the order that you enter them.  The 'a'
partition is always reserved for the partition you mount on /.  If you
don't enter this partition first, it won't be at the beginning of the
disk, and any attempt to rewrite the disklabel will fail.

Due to the way that sysinstall interacts with libdisk, this is
difficult to get "right".  We probably need a bandaid which insists
that if you want to create an 'a' partition you must lay it down first.