Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 12:16:34 -0300 (GRNLNDST)
From:      ormonde@trem.cnt.org.br (Rodrigo Ormonde)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        datcos@netvision.net.il
Subject:   Re: Xwindows % finger

> Hi !
> Recently, I moved to FreeBSD, and as usual, a newbie must ask something.
> So my questions are:
> My domain name is rilv.net.il, when I try: finger root, it works ok and
> I see info about myself, however, when I try: finger root@rilv.net.il
> I receive:
> [rilv.net.il]

  It seems that your fingerd isn't running. Look at /etc/inetd.conf and make
sure you have an uncommented line like this:

  finger	stream	tcp 	nowait	nobody	/usr/sbin/fingerd fingerd

> and thats all ... Then, I opened for myself additional account, called
> igal, and I decided to send mail from root to igal.
> I wrote:
> mail igal
> subject: Dont worry be happy (for example)
> ggdagdg
> ggdsagdsgsd
> gdgsdagasgs
> ghsdahhg
> And it worked. But when I did
> mail igal@rilv.net.il and sent the same message, it did not worked,
> and I even received message about DELIVERY ERROR any ideas ?

  You have to configure your DNS and Sendmail to receive mails from the
internet. Make sure you have the following in your zone file:

  rilv.net.il.	IN	A		xxx.yyy.zzz.www
		IN	MX 	0	your_mail_relay.rilv.net.il.

  In /etc/sendmail.cf, make sure you have configured the Dw, DD and Cw macros.

  In Cw, you must include rilv.net.il, in Dw your hostname and in DD your
domainname.

  I think this will solve your problems.

--
Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde