Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:05:08 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <darren@laskoprinting.com>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, portsmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/182985 maintainer timeout

On 3/6/2014 3:07 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> I'm trying to understand exactly what we're looking at here. Is the
> problem:
>
> "nginx always builds against OpenSSL in base (for FreeBSD 10+?)" ?
>
> If so, that's correct; it should not build against OpenSSL from ports
> just because the version from ports happens to be installed.

No, actually, that's exactly what it should do.  If I install OpenSSL
from ports and set WITH_OPENSSL_PORT in /etc/make.conf, the express
intent is to require all OpenSSL-using ports to link to the ports version.

Nginx with SPDY needs NPN, which means OpenSSL 1.0.1 or later.  Thus for
9.x and earlier we need to set WITH_OPENSSL_PORT.  For 10.0 and later,
both versions will work, so the correct behaviour for nginx is to say it
does not specifically require either by not setting either
WITH_OPENSSL_* variable.