Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:03:55 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FW: Large hard drive issues under 3.4

Sorry about the lack of info....in the archives there have been some posts
made that indicate 3.4 will not support an IDE drive (which this is) larger
than 33.6 gig.  It is not clear from what I can find in the archives if this
is true or not.  I was wondering if you knew off the top of your head
whether this info was true.

The problems with this drive are as follows:

Under either normal or LBA FreeBSD 3.4-Release gets confused about the disk
geometry.  The motherboard BIOS has been flashed so it will support large
drives.  (before we did that the system would freeze when we plugged this
thing in.)  Fdisk reports strange disk geometry in all cases....sometimes
the cylinder boundaries of the partitions overlap, sometimes the start of a
partition is after the end, but in any case I can't get FreeBSD to recognize
the geometry....which is 119108/16/64.  I have had problems similar to this
before with large drives (bigger than 30 gig) and have solved them by moving
to 4.0.  This is not possible in this situation.  I wish that I could
remember every way that I have tried to get this drive to work with results,
but alas, I cannot.  I will say that I have installed FreeBSD a lot and am
pretty sure that I am not making a rookie error.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Josh