Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:30:15 +1100
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: (fast) ethernet performance problems/tweaking

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 11:23:22AM -0500, C J Michaels wrote:
> Well, all I can say is, do you have a switch or a hub?  If you have a hub,
> odds are that it doesn't support full-duplex in the 1st place and that's why
> you are getting really poor performance.
>
> Try forcing the cards to half-duplex and see what happens.

No hub (just crossover cable), but thanks for the pointer to
potential problems when my network grows a bit bigger.

The problem turned out to be NT botching the auto-sensing thing.
I had FreeBSD wired to 100baseTX, full-duplex, but NT was set to
"AUTO", and was presumably picking half-duplex.  When I forced
NT to match the mode that FreeBSD was in, everything was happy,
for all of the supported modes.  (Ob Windows bash: NT required a
reboot every time I changed the ethernet config...)

There is still a weird performance gotcha with NT's ftp process
(it would pause for about one second in four, resulting in a net
througput of about 1.2M bytes/s).  Samba performance is better,
at about 5M/s.  Still not the 10M/s you'd hope for, but enough
to keep me going at the moment.

--
Andrew