Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 13:17:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ron Lenk <rlenk@widget.xmission.com>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2842 and the disappearing file-system :-(

> Without warning today, the recurrent collapse of -stable with "panic:
> inconsistent xxx queue" managed to trash my root file-system beyond recovery
> (/etc et al) and a substantial proportion of anything vaguely near a
> file-subsystem root directory (i.e. /var, /usr and /home are all separate
> file-systems and all were damaged to varying degrees). I presume that this
> was just particularly bad timing as there was significant activity on all of
> them at that moment (of the order of ~60 transfers second).

Well, I can tell you that you're not alone in seeing these particular
problems with -stable and the 2842. I've seen the same types of panics
and hang conditions with -stable for the last two months. ( since the
import of the new ahc driver in Jan ) Fortunately, however, I have been
using a 2.1-RELEASE kernel without incident ( up 15 days right now ),
so I haven't seen any spectacular filesystem damage.

In any case, others have mentioned the same kinds of panics, and not
necessarily with the 2842. In particular, people with 1742 controllers
have seen them as well. Rod Grimes mentioned in one message that he
has not seen them on PCI systems, but rather only on EISA systems.
( This would make sense, since the 2842 appears acts like an EISA card )

Anyway, I've vented my frustration in the past, and have been more or
less quiet about things, hoping that someone would come along and fix
the problem. :)

Ron

--
Ron Lenk -- rlenk@xmission.com