Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 96 19:27:25 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <admin@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   motherboard advice sought

I am getting a large chunk-o-change through a library technology grant to
build a supercharged FreeBSD box.

I'm looking for advice on motherboard manufacturers/chipsets to
seek/shun. My wish is for a Pentium 200 or better (meaning Pro, or
dual-processor, or both) with 512k or 1MB cache. I could make do with 6
SIMM slots but seek 8.

I've seen a listing for a Tyan Tomcat II P5 Dual board w/ AWARD PnP BIOS
for $1060 (with one P-200 in it). It has the 512k and the 8 slots I want
at a price that I can live with. Oddly, I see few other boards advertised
that have what I want (but I didn't look that hard).

If it makes a difference (and I expect it may) I hope to use the
as-yet-undetermined motherboard with a PCI Ultrawide SCSI card (Adaptec),
several Seagate 9GB Ultrawide drives, an external DDS2 DAT (model
undetermined) and a PCI 10/100TX ethernet card (with sundry other
components needed to make a whole system).

TIA for any information you can give,

Greg Barniskis                   gregb@scls.lib.wi.us
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI