Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 15:56:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   more modem trouble

Greetings:

I have 2.2.5 runing on my Toshiba Laptop. The Xirocm CreditCard Modem that
came with it is apparently no good for FreeBSD.

I have a kernel re-built from the PAO-boot.flp.  Until I get a new PCMCIA
modem, I would like to borrow the external modem from my PC and use it to
access the ports collection.

Merely plugging in the external modem to a serial port and selecting cuaa0
(that's what it is on the PC, and there's only one serial port on the
laptop) in either ppp.conf or setting the device from the PPP prompt,
gives me the message "device not configured."

Will this require a kernel re-build?

Thanks,
Ken