Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 22:57:05 -0400
From:      "B. Carlson" <carls107@msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Drive Geometry Problem with BSD4.0

I'm using FreeBSD 4.0 and this is a new installation.  I have a
Maxtor 91728D8 which is a 17 gig drive.  The label on the drive
says this:
cylinder   16383      head   16          sectors   63

When I boot up with the cd and do the Disk label it says this:
cylinder  4096         head  16          sectors  63

Which is now only giving me like maybe a little less than 2 gigs.
There is nothing physically wrong with the drive.  I boot up in
dos and it does the same thing on an Fdisk, tells me there is only
about a gig or so of space.  I tried fixing it with setting the geometry

in BSD, which when I set the geometry to the listing on the outside
of the drive it shows up correctly, but I write the information out
and reboot and it's back to 4096 cylinders.  The Bios is correctly
identifying the drive as you can see above in the drive ID, what can
I do to get my 16 gigs of space back?

B. Carlson