Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:28:00 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <gdunng@mac.com>
To:        "Michael Vince" <michael@oztechnews.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Missing Compaq 12/24GB DDS3 DAT Tape Drive

On Wed, 08 Nov 2000, Michael Vince wrote:
> I have done a new install of freebsd 4.1.1 on a compaq proliat 360, check
> the url here if you need details.
> http://www5.compaq.com/products/servers/proliantdl360/index.html
> It has a compaq scsi smartstart raid controller card in it.
> http://www.compaq.com/smartstart.html
> The thing about this card is that it has some kind of special rom driver or
> something where you boot from a special compaq CD and choose what OS you
> want to optimize the scsi array raid card for, as you could guess its got
> just about everything but FreeBSD, I choose Unixware because I was told I
> must choose something if I want to be able to put the freebsd cd in and boot
> to start the install. Its in LINT the scsi card is called.
> device          ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
>
> The whole install went fine and installed freebsd on a hard drive of this
> card (ID0), but I also have a compaq 12/24GB DDS3 DAT Drive(ID6) which I
> read in another post is a re-badged Sony SDT 9000, its detected in the
> compaq CD scsi card boot software but it doesn't come up at all in anyway in
> dmesg, unlike the scsi card and hard drive which does show up in dmesg, I
> want to confirm that I am supposed to see a sign of the tape drive in dmesg
> (/dev/sa?)
> And if any one knows why I cant bring this tape device up?
>
> Thanks

I have a Proliant 800. I chose Linux. This is from /var/log/dmesg.today
Waiting 15 seconds
for SCSI devices to settle sa0 at sym0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
sa0: <COMPAQ SDT-7000 3.04> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <COMPAQ BB00923468 3B07> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 8678MB (17773524 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1106C)
da1 at sym0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <COMPAQ BB00923468 3B07> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da1: 8678MB (17773524 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1106C)

I have had problems with vinum, maybe this RAID setting has something to do
with it? I assumed it was only about Plug'n Play. Anyway, tape works fine.

--
 == Gary Dunn
 == Honolulu