Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:18:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Subject:   Re: POSIX Conformance (Unanswered in "questions" so I forwarded...)

> > > POSIX was one of the objectives behind 4.4BSD. Will FreeBSD follow this
> > > tendency? Is it posible to follow it, or BSD is just too different from
> > > POSIX?
> >
> > It's not too far away.  I seem to remember that the NetBSD folks have
> > evaluated their degree of standard compliance (or was it
> > `conformance'?), and they don't look that bad.  FreeBSD is probably a
> > little more behind.
> >
> > We need people tracking this down.
>
> Terry Lambert said not too long ago that he had installed the TET
> framework (required for the POSIX conformance suite) and the POSIX suite
> itself, but we haven't heard anything from him since.  If he could post
> information on how to acquire these two items, I'd be happy to try running
> the test suite on -current, although I only have a 486DX4/100 at home, so
> if it takes an unreasonable amount of CPU time, I may have to wait and
> install FreeBSD on a Pentium at work.

I am a well-known standards advocate (well, moderately well known in
the communities producing the standards that applied to SVR4, at any
rate).

I acquired the NIST/PCTS by it being emailed in 16 uuencoded pieces
to me.

I am not comfortable redistributing it without the licensing restrictions
that are intended for the public release, and I'm not prepared to have
every Tom, Dick, and Harry deluging my source with email.

When a final release is cut, I am assured that it, and the appropriate
usage and licensing materials, will find themselves on the NIST WWW site;
you should probably check there occasionally.

Meanwhile, TET is a completely seperate piece of software necessary
for running TET-hosted test suites... like NIST/PCTS.  I've already
suggested that someone grab the TET off of the X/Open server (where it
is available for anonymous FTP) and check it into the FreeBSD ports
tree.

Bottom line:  if you haven't bothered to get TET running, then you
won't be able to use the NIST/PCTS code anyway, so there's no reason
for you to have it.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org