Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 17:48:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, alexkwan@pacific.net.hk, bright@wintelcom.net
Subject:   Re: Kill the uncomfortable message at boot time

On 05-Apr-00 Derrick Baumer wrote:

>> From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
>>
>> * Alex Kwan <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk> [000404 20:04] wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > When I exec dmesg | more to checked the boot message, I have found
>> > following error message, but I have not theses cards and have not config
>> > these network and scsi interface on kernel config. Although the machine
>> > is ruuning well, but I want to kill this uncomfortable message, what can I
>> > do?
>> >
>> > CPU: Pentium 54C
>> > Real Memory: .......
>> > config>di sn0
>> > No such device
>> > Invalid Command or syntax, Type '?' for help
>> > config>di sn0
>> > # same error message #
>> > config>di lnc0
>> > # same error message #
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> remove the lines from /boot/kernel.conf
>
> Be sure to only delete those lines that have an actual corresponding
> error message showing.  You may end up disabling parts of your system
> if you just delete them all.  (found out the hard way)  (it's fixable
> if you find out the hard way, too - just recompile the kernel and try
> it again)
>
> Do I understand that /boot/kernel.conf is written by the configuration
> system that is accessed via boot -c?

Userconfig (the -c kernel part) sets a sysctl with all the changes made.
After the system is booted, you can use kget to write to stdout the
userconfig commands equivalent to the changes you made.  Sysinstall uses
similar functionality to write a /boot/kernel.conf during installation.
The kernel itself does not generate this file.