Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:26:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Byte/Russia

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> In fact, it's a translation of "UNIX or BSD?" from the June Daemon
> News (http://www.daemonnews.org/199906/d-advocate.html).  You'll note
> my name at the end on page 81.

In the copy in my hand, page 81 is smack dead in the middle of an article
on Perl (cannot miss Larry Wall and his shirts...).  You'll note my name
at the end of page 77.  :)

> The other main articles are a translation of "The Cathedral and the
> Bazaar" on page 16 and "ISDN Networking" on page 56.

Those are articles on bug reports and notebooks, respectively.  I think we
are talking about two different issues.  I think I said it was in the
November issue.  Which one do you have?

> One thing that does impress me about the magazine is the technical
> detail, which I haven't seen in a US magazine for decades.  They also
> give a surprising amount of attention to UNIX.  The magazine is 96
> pages, including all ads, and 22 of them are about UNIX.  There's an
> almost total lack of Microsoft (just a single, albeit rather long,
> article about setting up TCP/IP on Windoze).  Very refreshing.

Indeed, I was freaking astouned by that.  There were some other articles
on Linux, which of course, I cannot make out, except for "Linux" stuck in
here and there.  Definetly my kind of people.  :)

Jamie