Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:42:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for secure http protocols

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, things don't work that way.  The only time 'automatic'
> > > use of the old ports occur is on unix (not Wintel), and *only* when you
> > > are first setting up the connection (again, only on Unix.)  This is
> > > intended as a replacement for rsh, which doesn't exist on Wintel boxes.
> >
> > I don't think you understand what I am talking about.  See paragraph
> > below.  I know what ssh does.  I also know what tcp does.
>
> You've changed the subject.  The original subject was supporting secure
> HTTP, and now we're dealing with a very specialized setup, and the point
> is that SSH won't work for the generic solution, and your comments imply
> that it would work.  Now that we've changed the background, it *may*
> work, but I'm not convinced that the commercial SSH client for Windows
> is up to the task.  I've spent the last couple of months dealing with
> the issues, so I'd like to think I have a clue here.

I haven't used F-Secure, so I don't know the Windows side of ssh.

What I am suggesting will, in principle, work via FreeBSD (with divert
sockets) to sshd on any platform.  The notion is to dynamically bring up
ssh connections as needed in a transparent manner using NAT to point to
forwarded ports on the local host.  The actual shell part of ssh isn't the
important think here, and a dummy shell could be brought up for anonymous
connections.

It will secure any tcp protocol and in a way completely transparently to
clients, be they http, various mail protocols, or whatever.  I think the
main downside is that it imposes a high load on system resources.

The notion of combining NAT and ssh port forwarding also gives VPN, but
only over TCP and not UDP or ICMP.

> > What I don't know is whether port forwarding relationships can be
> > dynamically created and destroyed during a single ssh session.  Probably
> > not, but desirable.
>
> Definitely not desirable due to security issues.  And, if you
> allow port forwarding then you've got a security hole you can drive a
> truck through. ;(

I admit that I'd have to think about what restrictions on port forwarding
would be necessary.  I just don't think this the killer talking point that
you think it is.

Charles Mott