Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:17:54 -0700
From:      Brad Karp <bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clock speedup on SMP boxes

> I don't have any clock skew problems on two Dell PowerEdge 1300 2-cpu
> boxes running 4.3, nor on a SuperMicro 2-cpu box running -current.
> All 3 occasionally run at 100% cpu for hours at a time.

We have several Dell multi-processor boxes here that also do not suffer from the clock speedup problem.

I didn't mean to imply that *all* SMP motherboards exhibit this behavior; only that a set of several do (exemplified by my reports regarding the Intel STL2 and Tyan S2567, and others' reports of this behavior on other motherboards).

It would appear that the delivery or processing of timecounter interrupts is not correct on some SMP motherboards, but correct on others.

-Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu