Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:55:28 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM ServerRAID support

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 03:40:32PM -0500, Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com> wrote:

> I have an IBM netfinity 5500 that is currently running debian.  I'm going
> to migrate it to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, and I was wondering if FreeBSD
> supports the IBM ServerRAID adapter.  I looked in the questions list
> archive and I noticed that someone was working on the driver at IBM but it
> was abandoned.  I also noticed that someone else was using the linux
> driver as a base to write a freebsd driver.  There is no mention in the
> kernel LINT file about support for this device.
>
> Is there a driver available for this adapter yet?

No. IBM supports Linux and that's all you can get. I have to note
that Solaris x86 driver (chs) is also almost unusable, because
automatic hot-swap rebuild function does not work under x86 Solaris
and no utilities exist to initiate rebuild manually. You'll have to
shut system down for disk replace and rebuild.
I've had this trouble lately and finally customer installed Windows
2000 server instead of Solaris for new database server.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee