Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 05:11:40
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        wumba_man@yahoo.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd on another port

>My cable provider nicely filters out the common ports (21, 80, etc) so
>you can't run servers.

How nasty.

>How do I get ftpd to listen on another port for connections??

Take a look in the file /etc/inetd.conf and you'll notice there's a ling
near the top that looks like this...

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd -l

The first field "ftp" is defining what port the ftp daemon is started from.
The "ftp" definition cross references to the following line in the file
/etc/services ...

ftp              21/tcp    #File Transfer [Control]

So to do it neatly you have a two step process. Firstly add a line into
/etc/services like this...

ftpcustom        2121/tcp    #File Transfer [Control]

Then change the first field of the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf to something
like this...

ftpcustom     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd       ftpd
-l

and reload inetd with this command...

killall -HUP inetd

and you've done it! Well at least you've changed the port that ftp starts
from.

Now you've got a problem where ftp servers make connections back to clients
over port 20 to transfer files. Depending on if your ISP bans port 20 and
depending which way you're transfering files (to FreeBSD or from FreeBSD)
you may find that it won't work. The symptons will be that you can log into
the FTP server correctly but when you try to do a ls or transfer a file the
client will simply sit there and never get a response from a server.

I don't know how you can fix the port 20 problem. You could change it on
your server but then you'd have a problem at the client side...

Good luck

Aaron Hill