Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:14:59 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <gamera@pacbell.net>
To:        Peterhin <hindrich@worldchat.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 11:24:48PM -0500, Peterhin wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> I have been browsing  the FreeBSD site, and am now wondering if someone could
> help with a simple question.
> I have been using GNULinux for about 1 1/2 years, and am happy with it,
> however, I am finding that slowly it is starting to get like the other OS's.
> All I am interested in is a really secure, and paired down system that can get
> me onto the net, and e-mail, without all the eye candy. I also an interested
> in learning the Unix system. Having said that could you please tell me, why I
> would learn (Pure) Unix over Linux.?

Probably the best comparison between FreeBSD and Linux I've read is
here:
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

It's written by a *BSD enthusiast, but it's a fair comparison.

BTW, it's a good idea to wrap your text at 78 characters or less - most
people here seem to prefer 72, because that's a workable width for 80
column consoles - that's how I'm reading my email right now.

- jt