Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:07:07 +0100
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        "B & M Converter LTD." <bmconv@on.aibn.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general question

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 07:41:35AM -0500, B & M Converter LTD. wrote:
> Hello...my name is Brian
>
> The general question I have is right now I would like to download the
> package apache 1.3.22. When I go to the download page there are lots of
> files and a folder called files.
>
> I am not sure at all how to get the program from all this
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you may give

The directory with all those files in it is called a port. Consult the
handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) for more information about
ports/packages.

If you want to do it that way, download every file/directory into a
directory on your harddisk, and type "make install"

Most people use the ports directory in /usr/ports/www/apache13/ on their
local harddisk though, or use "pkg_add -r apache13" to install the
pre-compiled package.

If you don't have a /usr/ports directory, install it using
/stand/sysinstall --> Configure --> Distributions --> ports

--
  Jochem