Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:19:08 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Maarten <mdv@unsavoury.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing stuff somewhere else

--SFyWQ0h3ruR435lw

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:53:06PM +0100, Maarten wrote:

> what if I have a compilehost on which I build FreeBSD(5) images, and I wa=
nt to build certain ports, but would like them installed in $imagedir/usr/l=
ocal/whatever instead of /usr/local/whatever?
> I'm aware of pkg_add's "-p" option, but that still happily keeps its admi=
nistration under /var/db/pkg for instance, when I would like it under $imag=
edir/car/db/pkg.

You can make pkg_add keep it's administrative files in a different
location by setting PKG_DBDIR in your environment.
=20
> Also, what is the smartest way to have 'make installworld' install under =
something other than / ?=20

Actually, this is a live topic on the freebsd-ports@... list at the
moment.  There's a movement to add some patches first developed in
2001 to add a 'DESTDIR' variable to the ports system, which is
complementary to the 'PREFIX' variable.  Changing 'PREFIX' will
install the port into a different location, but it will also cause the
port to set everything up assuming that it is going to be accessed
=66rom that location. DESTDIR is different -- it will let you install
ports/packages to a different location than the location you'll be
accessing them from -- eg. installing a port from outside a jail to be
accessed from inside it, or installing on a partition which will be
NFS exported and mounted on client machines.

See ports/28155 and the thread starting at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2004-February/thread.html#=
9159

Until then, the best route seems to be logging into the jail(8) and
installing the ports/packages from there.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way