Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:21:15 -0400
From:      Ryan <rnw@wizard.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCMCIA Etherlink III - 3C589C link problems

I got the PCMCIA Etherlink III - 3C589C (aka zp0) for my laptop
since it was supported.  However I can not get the link light
to go on.  I an running 2.2 June/06 SNAP since it has the PCCARD
support.  The irq is 5 and mem is 300.  However I am not sure
about the momory at 0xd8000.  The problem is that the 3C589C
is too smart for its own good and it finds its own memory dynamically
and counts on its device driver to tell the rest of the world where
it's at.  This can not be set statically from the DOS install disk.
Therefor it is up to the PCCARD services to negotiate with it.
I, evidently, don't know how to make this happen.  BTW ifconfig
appears to be able to set things up and teh kernel recognizes
zp0 and gives the (I hope) correct ethernet address. And the
link light works under DOS in the diagnostics.  Changing the
kernel's idea of the memory from 0xd8000 to 0xde000(as reported
in the DOS diag tool) causes a kernel panic.

Before I burn up more time on this has someone figured out how
to set things up correctly?

Thanks in advance
John Ryan