Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:04:42 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        peter@sysadmin-inc.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supression of kernel arp messages

> I'm reconfiguring a network into separate internal and external
> segments separated by a firewall.  However it's going to take me a
> little while to do it, and in order to keep things functioning until
> it's done, I'm gong to have to keep both the inside and outside
> nic's plugged into the same switch (which gives a lot of errors like
> this).
>
> /kernel: arp: 10.10.1.70 is on rl0 but got reply from (mac) on fpx0
>
> Is there a way that I can temporarely supress these errors from
> poping up on the console until i'm done with the config?

Near the top of /etc/syslog.conf, you'll have a line that looks like:

  *.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console

and a little further down:

  *.err                                           root

Those messages are logged under kern.err, I believe, so that's why
those messages are getting sent to /dev/console and root's tty.  Just
edit syslog.conf (see syslog.conf(5)), restart syslogd (see
syslogd(8)), and those messages will be out of your way.  If I'm wrong
about the priority of the messages, you'll have to edit some other
lines.

Lucas