Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:21:35 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <christoph.sold@pk.she.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BootEasy does not boot from the right disk (2.2.5-RELEASE)

While installing FBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE from the Walnut Creek CDROMs onto my
new hd, I noticed some problems inside the installation process. Since
those are completely unrelated, I'll post a few messages. Apologies for the
inconvenience.

Relevant Hardware (from probing during first successful boot):
One device on SCSI:
  ncr0 <ncr 53c810a fast10 scsi> rev 17 int a irq 11 on pci0:4
  (ncr0:1:0): "PHILIPS PCA80SC V3-0" type 5 removeable SCSI 2 CD-ROM drive:
  cd0: CD-ROM, asynchronous
Two IDE controllers with one hard disk each:
  wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
  wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL640A>
  wd0: 612MB (1253952 sectors), 1244 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
  wdc1 at 0x170-0x17f irq 15 on isa
  wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <ST32122A>
  wd2: 2014MB (4124736 sectors), 4092 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

On the Quantum wd0 on the primary master, there is a small emergency DOS
partition, as well as FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE.

I just received the Seagate 2.1GB HD and FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE CD-ROMs, so
I put the HD into the system, verified it was there using DOS 6.22 fdisk,
made the disk completely empty (no partitions on it) and did a novice
installation off FBSD 2.2.5-release CD-ROM, doing the "dangerously
dedicated" no-bootsector installation.

The installation completed, I did the obligatory restart. Yep, there was
the F5 selection for another disk; so hop over to the new hd containing the
just installed FBSD 2.2.5 using the F5 selection. here it comes:

> [F5]

>> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 640/31744 k of memory, internal console
Boot default: 1:wd(1,a)kernel
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THIS IS WRONG!
There is no primary slave IDE disk installed. The kernel resides on
"1:wd(2,a)/kernel", the secondary master.

So obviously there is a problem within the installation process, which
should be fixed for the next release (3.0, 2.2.6 is already out I heard).
In the meantime, how do I change the default boot string for my new HD?

Thanks for any help
-Christoph Sold