Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

> However, I want to have something that looks like
>
> 	o root needs to be at least 20M, but no larger than 32M and
> 	  about 2% of the whole disk.
> 	o /usr should be about 20% of the disk, not smaller than 100M
> 	  or larger than 350M.
> 	o /var should be 20% of the disk.  Add extra inodes here.
> 	o /home should eat the rest of the disk (ala the SunOS 'hog'
> 	  parititon).
> But table driven so that others can have other rules of thumb.  The
> above, btw, are bogus for many reasons.  They are just an example of
> the ideas I'd like to have.

I have installed several machines, and usually use the defaults in the
sysinstall for desk top machines, but when I install for a server, I find
that I need a much bigger /var/mail  and /var/log partition  Also I tend
to need a slightly bigger / partition to do kernel development and handle
the default /tmp directory.  Maybe this should go in Sysinstall also, but
I thought it would be a good idea to have a couple of models to choose
from, such as "desktop", "laptop", "Net Server", "router".  Things like
this that might have different algorithms depending on the overall size of
disks they have dedicated to FreeBSD.

Just a thought :-)

Thanks, I am looking forward to seeing this part more user friendly.

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://vinyl.quickweb.com/~chrisc/book.html
Disclaimer: Even Though it has My Name on it, Doesn't mean I said it.