Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:02:27 +0300
From:      Igor Robul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        Lalit Batra <lalitbatra@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lucent win modem

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 02:08:53PM +0530, Lalit Batra wrote:

> hi! I am a poor student and have lucent win modem.I have installed FreeBsd
> on my machine but could not find drivers for the modem.I cant afford to buy
> a new modem.Are there any drivers for it.If soo please do let me know.
> Thanks
> Lalit
Hello, Lalit

I'm not so poor, and I'm not student. My month income is around $250,
but I have found money for external modem. For example one made by Acorp
costs in my town around $50. While winmodem costs $30.
So, low income is not reason buy winmodem.

Sorry, now back to topic. Winmodems are not supported by most
operating systems, and this is reason why they are called "winmodems"
You can have trouble with winmodem even if you are using Windows NT or
Windows 3.x
There are binary only drivers for Linux, but you can't use them with
FreeBSD.

So, don't support makers of winmodems, or demand drivers for OSes you
prefer.

--
Igor Robul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia