Date:      Tue, 17 May 2005 20:58:56 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Charles Lamb <clamb@visionpayments.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam/AV filtering

Charles Lamb wrote:

>Well I have amavisd and clamav installed and running but they aren't
>filtering the viruses I pick up when I do a clamdscan.

There's quite a lot of RTFMming to do on these issues.  For
example, a whole boatload of README.foo under /usr/local/share/doc/amavis*.

I've tried a number of different approaches with varying degrees of
success.  The greylisting idea is interesting (relaydelay.pl? --- I need to
go check Warren's updated article), but I've found there's quite a few
really dumb MTA out there (that don't know a 451 from a hole in the
ground) ...

I've got a box or two that I've used Sendmail+amavisd-new+Spamassassin+
clamav in a "Dual Sendmail" setup.  Pretty darn effective ... AAMOF when
I got too draconian with my .conf, my wife didn't get email from anyone
for a good long time, and now thinks her correspondents have all given
up.

The downside on the "Dual Sendmail" is that you really, really, need a
moderate
chunk of Sendmail-fu.  I think that probably my knowledge of Sendmail is
== 1.5 hill o' beans, and there've been a couple of times I had to shell
in and
"unstick" a queue ....

In that particular setup, one instance of Sendmail handles the SMTP
(exterior)
stuff, and passes everything to amavisd on localhost TCP:10024.  The 2nd
sendmail
is listening on 10025 and gets the "good" stuff from amavisd for local
delivery.

I'll have to admit ignorance of Milter technology  .... sounds like
there might
be some advantages I should find time to look into ...

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey