Date:      Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:18:17 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        Spades <spades@galaxynet.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: top: nlist failed

> Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 06:17:14 -0500 (EST)
> From: Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
>
> Dont you need to do  'make installworld' before you compile a new kernel
> since  you want the new kernel to be compiled with the latest system
> files.

No. You miss the point of the new kernel build procedure in 4.0. By
building the kernel with the "make buildkernel" in /usr/src as opposed
to the old /usr/sbin/config in /sys/i386/conf, you ARE using the new
(but not yet installed) files.

This allows the new kernel to be built and booted up so that the
installworld can be done under the new kernel. That is another reason
to reboot to single user mode prior to doing the installworld as
opposed to simple dropping into single-user mode.

I think this is probably poorly understood and a good explanation
(which I may have time to write some day, but not today) would clarify
when you need to use buildkernel and installkernel and when you can
use the faster "/sr/sbin/config CONFIG" method.

Short rule of thum..If you are rebuilding because you have updated
the system sources, use buildkernel and installkernel. If you are
making configuration changes and rebuilding from the current sources
with a different configuration, use /usr/sbin/config.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)