Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:59:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Ben <xbhe@yahoo.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   target mode usage quick primer

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Ben wrote:

> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Ben" <xbhe@yahoo.com>
>

> Dear Matthew,
>      I have connected two PCs running FreeBSD 4.3
> each with an adaptec 39160 adapter.These two
> apaters are connected through a SCSI cable. One
> of the SCSI ID is set to 6,the other is set to 7.
> I am trying to make one machine running under
> target mode. What I did is to change
> AHC_TMODE_ENABLE to 1 and rebuild the
> kernel.After I reboot these two systems,nothing
> is new. Could you point out how I shold test the
> target mode?Thank you very much.
> Ben

You need the drivers

device scsi_target
device scsi_targ_bh

in your kernel as well as enabling target mode support in either the
Adaptec driver or the the QLogic driver. Note that while the QLogic
driver supports simultaneous initiator/target mode operation, the last
I checked, the Adaptec doesn't, so for your h/w, you have to have the
initiator side *not* have AHC_TMODE_ENABLE on. You might probably want
to put

device pt

in the initiator side.

Once you boot the target mode side, you'll eee wildcard enabling
via the targbh driver so that commands to non-existent luns have
somebody to actually respond.

Then go off and compile /usr/share/examples/scsi_target/scsi_target.c
and enable a lun for real.

Then boot the initiator side or camcontrol rescan the initiator side.

-matt